Juan and Álvaro de Benito
In 1992, his son Juan de Benito became Director/Manager. A second stage started, based on the same business philosophy and putting in motion a new updating and modernisation of the Company.
Another son, Álvaro de Benito, joined the team in 2001. As Assistant Manager, he is responsible of the Sales and Export Department, and designs the expansion and marketing plans for the winery.
We currently have an important presence in the national market and we export to more than 15 countries.
“ Understanding wine as artwork, from the land to the wineglass. ”
Juan de Benito
“ Quality is above all, it is the premise that sustains our work. ”
Alvaro de Benito
D. Enrique J. de Benito
He started a deep restructuring due to a change in business philosophy. The current facilities were built and provided with state-of-the-art wine-making techniques to make modern quality wines with our native verdejo variety as a base, with full character and personality.
“Of all the fruits of the earth, the one that incites higher theology, philosophy, poetry and natural charm doses is the grape in the midst of being made wine. Because in wine there are hidden miracle senses that, in some way, bind our body and soul”
“ Four judges of great roughness:
air, sun, soil and ice fields... ”
+ Read soneto + See image
Our winery is born
In 1941, Mr. Modesto Alvarez Romero and Mr. Eladio Díez Ossorio created the company Alvarez y Díez, S.A. Our winery was born. Currently, as a small tribute to these pioneers, it continues to carry their name.
12TH TO 20TH CENTURY HISTORY
Some historical facts
At the beginning, the town was called Nava de Medina during the Christian repopulation of the 12th century. In 1560, after paying 10.000 maravedies per neighbour, Felipe II freed it from the jurisdiction of Medina, and the name changed to Villa de la Nava del Rey. Its development was constant and the future kings provided many privileges. In 1864 the train arrived. This would be crucial to improve commercial transactions of wine produced in the area with the northern markets
By the end of the 19th century, a phylloxera plague destroyed the vineyards of Nava del Rey and its region. It did not recover until well into the 20th century.